Monday, February 23, 2015

My Doggie Cupcake Recipe

Today is my boys' 6th birthday and when I say " my boys' " I am referring to my furry children Morty and Leo.  These little guys are quite the handful and have gotten in more trouble than I care to remember, but my life would not be as wonderful without them.

Every year I give them a special treat on their special day which I normally buy.  This year I wanted to bake them something myself so I can control what the ingredients are.  I read a few different recipes for dog treats and cakes and did a little research on what they can and can't have and here is what I came up with...


Doggie Cupcakes

1 egg
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla 
1/3 cup raw honey
1 cup finely chopped carrots
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 Paper baking cups or 8 cupcake liners

Glaze/Frosting

1/2 teaspoon raw honey
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 egg yolk

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Combine peanut butter, oil, vanilla, and honey in a large bowl.  These ingredients especially the peanut butter and oil may be close to solid depending on their temperature so pop them into the microwave for a few seconds.  
  • Add the egg and blend. 
  • Chop or shred the carrots, I put mine in a food processor to get them very small then stir into the mixture thoroughly. 
  • Fold in the flour and baking soda.  
  • Spoon batter into paper baking cups or cupcake liners.  They will rise slightly so don't fill all the way to the top.  I used paper baking cups which are about double the size of average cupcake liners.  I was able to get 4 cups with just a tiny left over with this recipe.  
  • Bake in preheated oven for 20 - 30 minutes, depending how big your cupcakes are.
  • Whisk glaze ingredients together in a small bowl.  If they are too solid just heat in microwave for a few seconds, then continue whisking.
  • When there is only a few minutes to go spread the glaze on top and then finish baking.
  • Let cool for at least 10 minutes.
  • Once cooled the glaze will be firm and have a nice shine to it.  

I have to say these cupcakes smell delicious and they definitely passed my doggies taste test.

Happy Birthday Boys! 









No comments :

Post a Comment